Being Diabetic isn’t easy. So I’ve put together our top 10 tips for being Diabetic and healthy to make your life a little easier.
- Move more – not talking about workouts, day to day.
- Stay hydrated – so important, so simple.
- Get enough sleep
- Fitness Journal
- Eat a varied Diet
- Don’t expect perfection
- Find a diabuddy
- If it’s not working try something else
- Be kind to yourself
I talk through each of these top 10 tips to tell you how quick and simply it can be to feel even healthier.
Top 10 tips
#1 Move more – not talking about workouts, day to day.
- Simple things like take the stairs
- Park further away
- Walk when you can
- Make calls stood up
Maximise the steps you take. Helps regulate blood sugars and weight management
#2 Stay hydrated – so important, so simple.
- 2 litres a day
- Dehydration has huge impact on BG
- Less water means higher blood sugar concentration
- Large bottle to keep track. Refill 2-3 times not 8-10 like a glass
#3 Get enough sleep
- Easier said than done but do your best
- Knock on effect
- Lack of sleep affects appetite, amounts and food choice
- In turn effects BG
- Impacts mood which also effects BG
- Wind down
- Anything is better than nothing
- So much choice, gym, home, walk, swim etc
- 5 fundamentals of fitness cardio endurance, muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility and body composition.
- In a perfect world you would work on all of these things but you can’t go from 0-100
- Make a start somewhere. Find what you enjoy. Or what you hate least!
- Benefits to your health and BG
#5 Fitness Journal
- Document your workouts
- Different exercise will affect BG differently
- Find patterns
- Be proactive
#6 Eat a varied Diet
- I don’t agree with any fad diets, celebrity diets, juice diets etc
- Don’t be too restrictive, even if trying to lose weight
- Varied diet means eating a variety of foods, ensuring your body gets everything it needs
- Food is fuel
#7 Don’t expect perfection
- Diabetes is complex and complicated
- Trying to reach ‘perfect’ leads to frustration
- Live the healthiest lifestyle you can and do your best
#8 Find a diabuddy
- Nobody understands a diabetic like a diabetic
- Friend, family, online
- Good thing about social media, forums, groups etc
- Talk things through
- Important, look after your mental health
#9 If it’s not working try something else
- If your blood sugars are out of control
- Fighting them everyday
- Stop and take things back to basics
- Write everything down
- Eat same thing, same time each day, write things down
#10 Be kind to yourself
- Diabetes is tough, give yourself credit
- Celebrate the small wins
- Accept it won’t be perfect, there will always be days where it doesn’t behave